Wednesday 7 September 2011 | By: Gypsy Genes

The 'Unknown'...getting to know it!

What we don't know, can hurt us...especially when we allow it to! The 'unknown' is a place in which we don't know what is going to happen, when it will happen or how it will happen...we are floating in a sea of uncertainty with the feeling of no land in sight! We panic with fear as our mind races from the circumstances at hand to the possibilities at length. The anguish of the unknown produces all sorts of unnecessary problems in our lives because 1) we are not in control of the outcome itself; 2) we cannot make preparations because we don't know which way to turn; 3) even if we know the outcome, we are not in control (added pressure). So, our mind typically runs away from reality and takes an imaginary journey on the road to the 'unknown' trying to figure out the details along the way which hopefully will give us a clue as to what it is. Most of us feel like we have to have that measure of control in situations that involve us. But, although we feel that way, our efforts usually are fruitless in the way of positive outcomes. What we do produce, consequently,  is worry, anxiety, doubt, panic, fear and a general attitude of irritability and even irrationality.

How do we deal with it? Formulas apply to any problem; they indicate a procedure to be followed in order to achieve the desired results. How do we develop a formula that will help us deal with the ever present problem of the 'unknown'? Currently, the encroaching darkness of the 'unknown' looms over my family like an impending thunderstorm...it is teasing us, wearing us down & testing our resolve.  So far, we have been dealing with it pretty well because we have been & are continuing to give it to God, daily. Some people know what is going on, others do not...truly, those details are irrelevant. What is relevant, is that no matter what we go through, there is a formula to deal with it!!

This weekend has been especially irritating for me in one form or another. Again, if the devil can't distract you with one thing, he'll use another! Sometimes, it's just life happening and it happens to go against you. Either way, the load we're carrying gets heavier and more cumbersome...which is why Jesus tells us to give Him our burdens (Psalm 55:22). So, as the weekend progressed into the week, I found myself in an unpredictable mood in which my attitude jumped around like an olympic pogo-er! One second I was content & friendly and the next  I was irritable & sullen. To top it off, as Murphy's Law so often does, some of us caught colds, some received well-meaning comments that inadvertently served to feel more like pouring salt on an ulcer, and the knowing that the 'unknown' was still in full force just dumpeded the doom & gloom atmosphere right into our livingroom.

Specifically, I began to really feel the pinch of it all. My manner became short and abrupt, my mood obstinately remained on a roller-coaster and my increasingly bad attitude made a grand entrance arm-in-arm with dissatisfaction. Wow! When it rains, it pours! So, welcome, welcome...lol   Onward & upward, I recognized my predicament and got my Bible. Reading God's Word is always the right answer regardless of the question! While reading the Word drastically improved my overall demeanor, there was still something plaguing me...no matter what I did, I still felt a sense of discontent. But, Jesus is ever faithful and will meet our need when we seek Him. This morning, my daughter came into my room and asked if I wanted her to read to me. I agreed and she opened her Bible and began to read Philippians 4. As she read Philippians 4 to me, certain verses stuck out:

{4Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! 5Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. 6Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. 8And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. 9Keep putting into practice all you learned and received from me—everything you heard from me and saw me doing. Then the God of peace will be with you.}

Unknowingly to her, she, being obedient to God, read to me & reminded me of exactly what I already knew to do, but had YET to do. {Psalm 8:2 -- You have taught children and infants to tell of your strength, silencing your enemies and all who oppose you.} No matter how established we are in Christ, there are times where we need the encouragement of others; to be reminded of what we already know so that we can clear our head & refocus on what is truly important. So, right there in Philippians 4 was the answer to everything...it doesn't matter that we are facing the 'unknown'. NO. What matters is that Jesus goes before us and that through Him, we have peace...not in the knowing of the 'unknown' but in the knowing that Jesus is greater than the 'unknown'; that He is in control of our lives as long as we seek Him & actually do the things that He has instructed us to do through His Word.

In order to do that, we have to make a personal choice. Are we going to hold on to our human feelings and desires to know the 'unknown' or are we going to choose to trust God and accept His peace...knowing that He directs our path? Which will we do? Some say that isn't a choice because it is a real circumstance that we deal with...we need to know so that we can plan & prepare. While there is truth in the wisdom of preparation, this is still a purposeful choice that we first have to make. Deuteronomy 30:19 says "Today I have given you the choice between life and death, between blessings and curses. Now I call on heaven and earth to witness the choice you make. Oh, that you would choose life, so that you and your descendants might live!" Moreover, & among many other scriptures,  John 10:10 also encourages us to CHOOSE life--"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

Realizing that I knew what to do, but had only half-heartedly done it, helped me to understand the culprit to my decaying disposition over the last few days. I had let my guard down and life had barged in like a tsunami drowning out my peace & focus in the Lord. The devil didn't have to do anything as our human feelings are of the flesh, which is of the world, which is of sin. It was a natural decline & all he had to do was wait for me to hit rock bottom. But, PRAISE THE LORD, Jesus is always on time with just the right answer for our needs...as long as we seek Him. Unfortunately, so many times when we face these types of situations, rather than turn to God, people blame Him for undesired outcomes. I am so thankful for God's direction, for His peace & because He is in control of my life. I am thankful that when I lose focus, Jesus redirects me to His Word.

So, the formula to dealing with the 'unknown' is in knowing that I don't have to know the 'unknown'!!My life has already been laid out according to the destiny that Jesus has created for me (Jeremiah 29:11). Of course there are many twists & turns along the way, but as long as I stay focused on Jesus, He will lead me. Jesus isn't surprised by anything that happens and when life throws a curve ball, Jesus is right there to hold my hand and lead me through the valley. Jesus holds us in His hand and He is bigger than any problem we could ever have. In knowing that, we 'know' all we need to know!! We have our formula to deal with the unknown and it is counter-checked with the knowledge that being happy & content is our choice. Simply put, Jesus knows the 'unknown' and when we know Jesus, we know everything we need to know...choosing to be happy & joyful in the Lord as we wait on Him! Be blessed!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment